Saturday, July 2, 2011

8 Reasons to Memorize Scripture

I was very encouraged to continue to memorize scripture as I listened to John Piper shares 8 reasons for the importance of memorizing scripture.

Memorizing scripture…

1. 1. Makes meditation possible at times when reading the Bible is not possible and meditation is the pathway to deeper understanding.

2. 2. Strengthens my faith because faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God…and that happens when I am hearing the word in my head.

3. 3.Shapes the way I view the world, by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint on everything.

4. 4.Makes God’s word more readily accessible in overcoming temptation to sin because God’s warnings and promises are the way we conquer the deceitful lies of the Devil.

5. 5.Guards my mind, making it easier for me to detect error and the world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar

6. 6.Enables me to hit the Devil in the face with a force he cannot resist to protect myself and my family from his assaults (what are you hitting him with? He is millions of times stronger than you and he hates you and your family and your marriage and the church and God. How anybody walks through this devil ruled world without a sword in your hand is beyond logic.)

7. 7.Provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need

8. 8. Provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because he talks to me through his word and nowhere else (he sweetly, powerfully, authentically, really speaks to me through God’s Word… and then I speak back to him in prayer and if the word is in my mind then we can talk anywhere.)

It is sweet, it is very sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSAVXHE5COg&feature=related

1 comment:

Petra said...

Very good reasons and great reminder to memorize scripture. Prayers and Blessings!